While many people have dabbled with nail polish at one point or another in their lives, the truth remains that for many people, a really great manicure is something that only happens at a salon. If you want to get a nice look for your hands without spending the cash at the salon, there are a few tips that you need to keep in mind.
1. First, start by prepping your nails. Use a file rather than a pair of clippers to shape your nails. This is something that can prevent your nails from breaking or from splitting. After that, make sure that your nails are clean using stiff nail brush to get underneath the nails themselves.
2. To paint your nails, you will need a clear coat polish and the colored polish of your choice. First, put down a layer of clear nail polish. This keeps the nail polish from flaking off, and it allows the layers of color to grip your nail better.
3. Start painting your nails with a brush that has been lightly brushed against the mouth of the nail polish bottle. This allows you to apply thin layers of nail polish to your nails. The thinner the layer of color, the better it will stick to your nails. Work slowly, and make sure that you cover the entire nail. After you have finished the first coat, assess the color. The color might be deep enough for you as is, or you might find that it you need it deeper.
4. Allow the nail polish to dry for at least five minutes. Ideally, you will allow it to dry for at least ten minutes. Once the polish is completely dry, add another layer. make sure that you allow each layer to dry completely before you add another.
5. When the color is as deep as you want it to be, allow the nail polish to dry completely. When it has done so, you can add one or two more layers of a clear coat and you will be done once it is dry.
As an extra tip, remember that you can clean up spills and drips by dunking a Q-tip into nail polish remover and using it to clean up the drips. This can prevent you from needing to redo the entire nail.
Take some time to think about your nails (see Shakura). While a salon will do a great job, you will find that a little bit of attention will give you some great resources to work with at home.